Established June 6th, 1892
The Church Building
Trinity Lutheran Church was founded in 1892 by six Norwegian/Scandinavian settlers. The first church was built by the congregation and set in about the same place as the current church building. The second building was built in 1919, to accommodate a growing church. The entrance to the church was a large set of concrete steps going to the sanctuary on the 2nd Street side of the building. The stained glass windows were commissioned and installed at that time. In the 1950's the congregation added onto the back of the church, adding offices, Sunday school rooms, and a fireplace room for gatherings. The entrance to the church was changed in 1971, when they added a covered walkway, a Narthex, the elevator, and the indoor steps up to the sanctuary. In the 1980's the Sanctuary was re-carpeted. Also in the late 80's, our mortgage was paid off, and we have remained debt free to present. In 2014, the congregation had a fundraising drive to raise money for the window restoration and to do some needed work on the siding and windows of the church. We are still working on the stained glass windows restoration today. 13 of the 18 windows have been refurbished! For more information on the windows, or to have a tour of the building, call our office at 503-873-2635 or email us to schedule a time!
Trinity's Parsonage was first built with the original church in the late 1800's. The first few pastors lived in it. The second parsonage was built in the 1940's, in the same location as the first. Pastors lived in the parsonage until the late 1970's. In the 1980's the congregation did an extensive remodel to the parsonage. The church has continued to use the parsonage as a rental house and a source of additional income for the church to date.